We're Here to Help You!
Orphaned Squirrels from South Louisiana Wildlife in Snuggle Sack made by a CARA member
So many crafters are passionate animal lovers and advocates, donating and volunteering to their favorite rescues and shelters but are left asking if they could do more. Crafters & Artisans for Rescued Animals was born out of that desire. By using our skills we can come together as a community of crafters and help provide important items to you, our rescues.
Rescued Raccoon from Jojo's Nut House
CARA is proud to offer donations, free of charge* to the following individuals:
• Registered Animal Rescues and Shelters
• Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitators
Sub-permittees will be required to have their sponsor licensed rescue sign up and share items with them. We can no longer accept individual sub-permittee requests.
CARA requires a Donation Request Form to be filled out in order for us to process new requests. Click here to access form:
Current CARA rescues can change or edit their needs by utilizing our Updated Needs form found here:
CARA RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DENY DONATION REQUESTS AT ANY TIME TO ANY RESCUE OR INDIVIDUAL THAT WE BELIEVE IS NOT ABIDING BY GROUP RULES, GUIDELINES OR IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN DONATIONS FOR NON-APPROVED REASONS.
*DONATIONS ARE FREE OF CHARGE AT THIS TIME, CARA MAY HAVE TO AMEND THIS IN THE FUTURE. RESCUES WILL BE NOTIFIED TO ANY CHANGES TO OUR POLICIES.
I submitted my request, Now what?
• Once CARA receives your request our administration team will do all necessary vetting and refer to state lists to confirm license status for wildlife rehabilitators. This allows us to ensure our donations are going to legitimate rescues.
• If CARA approves your request, your information will be entered into our database within 48 hours in most cases. It will then be accessible by our crafters.
• Each rescue will have their own thread in our discussion group. We ask that a representative from each rescue join our private group to answer any questions that may arise from members. We understand that rescues are extremely busy and do not want to take up your time. CARA has found that this group has been extremely beneficial to both our crafters and our rescues.
• Once you are entered into our database you will be eligible to receive a CARA Welcome Package. This package will be shipped within a few weeks. CARA has a dedicated Disaster & Welcome team that supplies items for these packages from across the US.
• Welcome packages will be tailored to your list as best as possible from our stockpile. It may include 10-15 items. CARA tries our best to include a variety of items in stock. We can not guarantee what may be included in your welcome package.
• After you receive your welcome package, all other shipments will come directly from our crafters themselves. As we do not assign rescues to individual crafters we can not guarantee when you may receive shipments.
A Truly Collective Group
Our Facebook group consists of both crafters and rescues. This allows for valuable discussion amongst our members. Crafters are not only learning about rescues from all over the US and Canada, but how they can improve their skills to better serve the animals. While we do require a rescue or rescue representative to join our FB group to receive donations we truly wish you will consider joining us.
CARA’s top priority is the safety of the animals we are helping. CARA has worked closely with our rescues and rehabilitators to find, create, and test patterns to ensure they are safe for the animals.
Each pattern on our list has been approved by our rescue partners as well as the specific materials outlined in the pattern.
We understand that a material acceptable for one animal, may not be cleared for use with another.
Many of our patterns offer yarn or fabric options. CARA understands that some rescues may object to yarn variations, however some rescues are fine with these options for certain uses. CARA does not believe it is our place to tell a rescue what is appropriate for their creatures. This is why we offer multiple options for certain items and are constantly working to create new variations and items.
For a list of of our offerings and the materials we designate for each of them please review our Product Description Guide:
CARA understands that rescue is unpredictable and occasionally our partners will experience an urgent need for items. This may be due to a large intake, a natural disaster in the area (flood, fires, etc), a medical case that requires specific items, or more.
If you are experiencing an urgent need please reach out to our administration team via email (email@example.com). CARA will do everything we can to gather the needed items and ship them from our headquarters.
Our Disaster & Welcome team was created for these situations and is always ready to assist.
Special Requests & Urgent Needs
CARA works closely with our rescues to create and design products that will be useful for them in their efforts to rehabilitate animals. Occasionally our rescues will have an idea or need for a product that is not currently on our list.
If you have an idea for a needed product to assist with a specific animal, or that may benefit numerous rescues please reach out to us and we will do our best to create an item. CARA new product design process:
• The inquiring rescue will be assigned a crafter to work with.
• The assigned crafter and rescue will discuss the item, what materials are preferred, the item’s use and design. • The crafter will work on a prototype for the item. Once finished the crafter will ship to the rescue for testing, feedback and edits.
• Crafter will make adjustments and resend if needed. If the product is approved the pattern will be written by the crafter.
• Pattern will be sent to another crafter for testing, feedback and edits.
• Once finalized it will be released to crafters, added to our wishlist for rescues to request
SPREAD THE LOVE
CARA members are truly some of the most caring people. They don’t craft for praise or acknowledgement, but for their love of animals and desire to help. We at CARA love seeing pictures of our items in use. It motivates our crafters and gives us all a sense of pride in our work. We would love if as a CARA rescue you shared your pictures with us when you receive packages.
We know sometimes crafters forget to include their contact information within their packages so we have created an easy form for rescues to send a thank you to CARA crafters.
Rescues can access this form here
CARA administration will ensure these notes reach our crafters.